We are looking for an enthusiastic individual to join our Benefits Team who are based in Worksop, Nottinghamshire. As part of this role you will be required to process applications for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support and provide advice to customers either over the telephone or face to face. You must therefore have relevant experience of working in a busy office environment, preferably a benefits or other means-tested area.
Among other qualities, you will also have:
· Minimum of 4 GCSE (Grade 4-9 or C or above) (or relevant equivalent) to include Maths and English.
· Practical and procedural knowledge of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction regulations/good practice.
· Experience of giving complex advice,handling difficult situations and confidential data.
· Experience of working from electronic documents and the use of Microsoft products and mobile services.
· The ability to work effectively in a team.
· Effective communication skills, written and oral and you will need developed interpersonal skills to deal with sometimes challenging or sensitive situations.
· Ability to understand performance measures and to work to tight deadlines as a team.
· Able to follow complex work based procedures and policies.
· Good organisational skills to deal with and manage workloads.
Knowledge of the Northgate system or Civica Document Management System would be an advantage as would having or working towards, an IRRV certificate in Housing Benefits (previously technician grade) or a level 3 NVQ in Housing Benefits or Customer Services, would also be an advantage.
This position will be subject to a Basic Disclosure & Barring Service check.
The benefits include 24 days annual leave rising to 29 days after 5 years’ service, in addition to Bank Holidays, an extra day over the Christmas period and access to the Local Government Pension Scheme.