PURPOSE OF POST
To provide advice, assistance, and support to Children & Young People (C&YP). To attend to their practical, physical, and emotional needs. To act as an appropriate role model and to work closely with them to enable them to address their difficulties and achieve their optimum potential.
GAC Family Services (GACFS) are looking for individuals who have previous experience working with C&YP in a residential home. We are looking for someone who is knowledgeable, confident, friendly, and positive to join us. Staff at our homes will provide a range of services to support C&YP. The C&YP residing in our homes may have emotional, social, and behavioural difficulties. Flexibility is required for this role as you will also be required to work evenings, nights, and weekends with some sleep-in shifts.
All C&YP are equally entitled to have their needs met in a fair and balanced way. All GACFS staff are responsible for promoting equal opportunities for all and for challenging any behaviour or practice which discriminates against any C&YP or colleague on the grounds of race, religion, disability, age, gender, sexual orientation, or any other perceived difference.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• To maintain a high quality of care and support which meets the physical, emotional, intellectual, social, and cultural needs of C&YP within the care of GACFS. Working from the guidelines from the 1989 Children’s Act, Children’s Home Standards & Quality Standards, and any other relevant legislation.
• To provide a caring, supportive, and nurturing environment in which C&YP can feel secure and free from harm.
• Establishing positive relationships with C&YP and always offering them unconditional and positive regard.
• Helping C&YP gain self-control by challenging unacceptable behaviour and rewarding acceptable, pro-social conduct.
• Ensuring that each C&YPs care plan is followed and amended as appropriate to reflect their changing needs
• Attending to practical matters in relation to childcare (cooking, cleaning, general maintenance around the home etc)
• To act as a key worker or co-worker for a C&YP to ensure that their care plans are up to date and that all their care needs are being met.
• To provide a positive role model to be able to offer advice, guidance, and assistance where appropriate.
• Establishing relationships which C&YP perceive to be positive, warm, and rewarding.
• Providing advice, assistance, and support on a 1:1 basis to enable C&YP to address past and present difficulties
• Providing emotional support at times of difficulty or stress
• Being ambitious for C&YP, helping them achieve their goals and optimise their potential
• Providing support for C&YP in their education and extracurricular activities, this may include supporting them in the classroom if necessary
• Keeping accurate records and providing written reports on C&YP for planning meetings, reviews or any other meetings as directed by the line manager
• Empowering C&YP and facilitating their active involvement in the decision making about their lives and future
• Acting as an advocate at meetings where the C&YP is the subject of discussion
• Encouraging the C&YP to develop links with the community, attend off-site activities and expand their personal social network
TO WORK AS PART OF A TEAM
• Being aware of the aims and objectives of the home and working collaboratively with colleagues to achieve them
• Attending team/staff meetings and making a positive contribution to them
• Actively contributing to the development of the team
• Receiving and storing information to improve communication
• Being willing to give and receive feedback on performance with colleagues and managers
• Being aware of childcare plans for all C&YP and providing support for colleagues by maintaining consistency in the execution of those plans
• Providing informal practical and emotional support to colleagues experiencing difficulties
• Attending and contributing to regular supervision sessions in line with the Children’s Home Standards & Quality Standards
• Monitoring the conduct of colleagues and referring on any causes for concern (Whistleblowing)
• Being familiar with all policies and procedures and adhering to them
• Attending C&YPs meetings and contributing to them
• Driving company vehicles (current driving licence holders subject to procedures)
• Receiving training appropriate to the role and maintaining an up-to-date training profile
• Responsibility for the accurate maintenance of financial records appropriate to the duties of the post
• Responsibility for the health, safety and welfare of self and colleagues in accordance with the requirements of the organisational Health and Safety Policies
• This post requires the holder to do varying shifts, which include early morning and late evening work, sleep-in and an on-call rota system. The post holder also is required to work weekends as part of a rota and Bank Holidays when required. Sleeping-in duties are also required for which an additional payment is made.
• On occasions you may be requested to change your rota at a given notice as per your contract, to ensure the contingencies of the service are covered. This may also include covering an additional sleep-in duty as an emergency measure.
• In accordance with the guidelines on Health and Safety, to accept responsibility for working within these guidelines and reporting any concerns to the Registered Manager.
• To undertake such other duties appropriate to the grade of the post and the needs of the Home such as decorating, gardening in order to develop and maintain service delivery.
• This post requires the holder to always have a clear DBS check. Changes to personal circumstances which may affect this must be notified to your line manager immediately.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & QUALIFICATIONS
• Experience working with Children in a residential setting.
• Level 3 Diploma in Children and Young People/Residential Childcare (or equivalent)
• The applicant must be keen to achieve a level 5 Diploma in the above subject
• Full Driving Licence
• Applicants must be aged 21+
• Knowledge of Children’s Home Standards & Quality Standards
The post is subject to the candidate currently holding a satisfactory enhanced DBS certificate. We operate a culture of awareness and safeguarding. All staff will be subject to thorough recruitment and reference checks.