How to Complete Your Job Application Form
- Most Public Sector employers provide formal application forms on which to make your application. Please do not send a CV unless asked to do so. Unless your application is on the correct form it will not be progressed to the next stage.
- Most application forms will come accompanied by guidance notes for completing the form – read them carefully before starting to complete the form.
- Have a copy of the job vacancy in front of you and take note of job reference numbers and closing dates. You will need to include this information on your application.
- Be mindful of the closing date – applications received after the closing date will be rejected.
- Read any supporting documents such as the job description and person specification so that you have a clear understanding of what the role entails and the skills/experience the employer is looking for.
- Complete the form relating your skills, training and experience to the role for which you are applying. You should demonstrate at every opportunity that you are the right person for the post.
- Make the most of ‘Additional information’ sections on application forms. This is your opportunity to give details of any relevant experience you may have as evidence of your ability to do the job.
- Work out what you are going to say and read it through before committing it to paper, if applying in writing.
- Make sure you complete as much of the application form as possible.
- Check to ensure that you have completed all obligatory information fields. If you leave these sections blank it may disqualify your application.
- Don’t forget to complete any additional forms such as diversity questionnaires. Diversity questionnaires are confidential and used to help the employer ensure that their recruitment processes are fair and do not discriminate in any way.
- If a job involves working with vulnerable members of the community e.g. children, elderly or disabled you will be asked during the application process to provide additional information which will be checked with the police. This is a confidential but essential part of the process.
- Keep a copy of your completed application form and job vacancy for future reference. You will need to read it through again if you are invited for interview.
Back to career pack main page
Career pack quick links