Required: from January 2020 (earlier if possible)
Salary: Group 3 (L9 – L13)
Reporting to: Headteacher
Discovery Special Academy opened in September 2018. The vision for the academy is to provide excellent, inclusive education for up to 84 children with significant and complex learning, medical and physical needs. The Trust wish to appoint an outstanding deputy headteacher for the new academy with a proven track record of successful school leadership. Occupying a key strategic leadership position within the school community, the deputy headteacher will be accountable for the education of current and future generations of children and their leadership will have a decisive impact upon the quality of educational opportunities and consequently of pupils’ achievements and outcomes.
The new deputy headteacher will have incredibly high expectations and the ability, desire and determination to support the headteacher to continue to build the new school. They will also need to be a strong strategic leader with great empathy and moral direction, leading by example the professional conduct and practice of teachers and teaching assistants to ensure and celebrate high quality continuous professional development for all.
Discovery will provide:
· a great learning environment for children with a real family atmosphere and community context;
· an amazing working environment for staff where everyone is valued and treated with respect;
· hard working dedicated and committed staff who strive to gain the best for all of our pupils;
· a fully integrated services model working with Physio and Occupational Therapists, Speech and Language Therapists and a range of Health and Care Professionals;
· supportive parents/carers who will work in partnership with you to achieve the best for their children;
· amazing pupils who love coming to school and are encouraged to learn the skills that they will need for life outside of school;
· an enthusiastic and supportive headteacher, CEO and trust board that put the interests of the children first and are committed to the continual improvement of the academy; and
· a passionate and highly performing team of professionals across the trust to learn from and contribute to.
Tees Valley Education Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All appointments will be subject to a satisfactory enhanced DBS check. In addition, this appointment is subject to the current conditions of employment of Headteachers, contained in the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document and other current educational and employment legislation.
Applications are invited from prospective candidates who are able to demonstrate that they are able to meet the essential criteria set out in the person specification.
Visits for discussion with the headteacher are strongly encouraged and can be arranged by appointment with the Discovery Special Academy office on the following dates: Friday 14th June at 4:00pm, Monday 17thJune at 1:30pm, Wednesday 19th June at 9:30am, Friday 21st June at 1:30pm and Tuesday 25th June at 4:00pm. Visits will be held at Discovery Special Academy, Kedward Avenue, Middlesbrough, TS3 9DB.