Gold Rules of an Interview
- Always be on time. Make sure you arrive in good time by leaving early in case of transport or traffic problems. Make sure you inform the receptionist when you arrive and have your letter of interview with you.
- Never tell lies on your application or at your interview – Interviewers are trained to spot discrepancies so you’re bound to be caught out.
- Do your research. It will become apparent if you haven’t bothered to read the information you’ve been sent or find out more about the employer and the services and products they provide. The web makes this easy and most local government employers will have a site that will give you comprehensive information.
- Don’t knock your current employer or manager because it comes across as being disloyal.
- Make sure you take copies of any certificates that are required along with you to the interview.
- Be positive – if you cannot do something, explain you’re a quick learner and willing to train.
- Try hard to make a good first impression – The impression you give within the first few minutes will have a bearing on the rest of the interview.
- Don’t be over friendly or too familiar, as it shows a lack of respect and judgement.
- Be yourself, when you get the job you’ll want to fit in.
Back to career pack main page
Career pack quick links