Based within the Benefits Unit, at our newly modernised offices at Queens Buildings, Worksop, you will process applications for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support within a small team. You will provide advice to customers over the telephone and sometimes face to face.
Amongst other qualities, you will also have:
· Relevant experience of working in a busy office environment, preferably a benefits or other means-tested area.
· Minimum of 4 GSCE passes (or equivalent) to include Maths and English
· Practical and procedural knowledge of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction regulations/good practice.
· Experience of giving complex advice and handling difficult situations and confidential data.
· Experience of working from electronic documents and the use of Microsoft products and mobile services.
· The ability to work effectively in a team.
· Effective communication skills, written and oral and you will need developed interpersonal skills to deal with sometimes challenging or sensitive situation.
· Ability to understand performance measures and to work to tight deadlines as a team.
· Able to follow complex work based procedures and policies.
· Good organisational skills to deal with and manage workloads.
Knowledge of the Northgate system or Civica Document Management System would be an advantage as would having or working towards, an IRRV certificate in Housing Benefits (previously technician grade) or a level 3 NVQ in Housing Benefits or Customer Services would also be an advantage.
This position will be subject to a Basic Disclosure and Barring Service check.